Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pew pew.

The wife finally got her Virginia drivers license. We moved here a while ago but she never remembered to get it. I got mine right away when I tagged and registered both our vehicles.


But why do you care about her license? Well, we are going to get her her own gun. She wants a handgun and something manageable and cheap to shoot. So naturally we leaned towards a .22.


The first gun that came to mind was the Ruger MKIII. From a bunch of people that I really trust they say it's probably the best "first gun." It's highly accurate and very reliable and not too expensive. The only downside is that it's not the prettiest handgun out there.


Hmmm... what other .22 handguns are there? I quickly found the Walter P22 and the SIG Mosquito. Both look great, much like their "siblings." So, between the two, I've read more good things about the Mosquito and that's what we've decided on. Plus she likes it's styling better.


I know it won't be as accurate as the Ruger but it's hers and I want her to find something she likes. After all, if you don't like what you're shooting you probably won't shoot it as often.


So I emailed a semi local shop that said they have it in stock. I mentioned that she had her old states license and if that was a problem I could just use mine to buy it. They emailed back and said they would have to decline my sale because it would be a "straw purchase" which is illegal. Gosh, I didn't even think of that but I understand now.


But I still want the handgun for her so I apologized to them and told them we would quickly get a new license for her so that everything would be on the up and up. And I'm just letting you know now that it's all good.


So don't get mad if you wanted me to purchase the Ruger. I may still get one, but it would be for myself, so I could enter the weekly competitions at my range. But for now, we'll just have the Mosquito. Let the flaming begin.

No comments: